Definición de oppose en inglés:
- Sir W. Foster opposed any attempt to prevent the public from buying cheap food so long as it was wholesome.
- If you oppose ID cards you now also oppose measures to prevent electoral fraud.
- There were also those who opposed Rousseau's argument of women's different nature and argued instead for the social equality of women.
- We are striving to pave the way for a mass political movement throughout Europe that opposes the capitalist system.
- However, a cross-section of commuters, residents and commercial establishment owners are opposing the new system.
- They not only failed to understand either the work of art they were accompanying or any of the events it portrayed, but they also actively resisted and opposed the content of the film.
- Some people in the party, and many of the candidates who are opposing him for the party's nomination, say he is too left wing to win a U.S. presidential election.
- I made it known that I was a candidate and nobody thought it worthwhile to oppose me.…
compost from (Late Middle English):
Garden compost and fruit compôte do not seem to have much in common, but they both derive from French compôte ‘stewed fruit’. This comes from Old French composte, from Latin compositum ‘something put together’—source of compose (Late Middle English) and decompose (mid 18th century), composition (Late Middle English), and component (mid 17th century). Compost has been used in the gardening sense since the late 16th century. The Latin word was formed from com- ‘with’ and the irregular verb ponere ‘put, place’. From this we also get impose (Late Middle English) ‘place (up)on’; oppose (Late Middle English) ‘place against’; positive and posture (late 16th century); preposition (Late Middle English) something put in front, and suppose (Middle English) literally something placed from below.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Tenby Town Council is to repeat its objections to the proposal to Pembrokeshire County Council, and opposers are being asked to reinforce their concerns to ensure the authority knows the strength of local feeling.
- And even if the opposers only amount to 36% of those polled, that's still more than eight people, Ann.
- In the past, opposers claimed it was the beginning of a ‘slippery slope’ that would lead to parents selecting children for hair colour or intelligence.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.