sustantivo (plural orphreys)
- An ornamental stripe or border, especially one on an ecclesiastical vestment such as a chasuble.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Saints embroidered in metallic and silk threads decorate the orphrey, the ornamental band along the top of the cope as pictured here.
- The shoulder seams, and the edges of the neck and hem, are bordered by narrow orphreys, those on the hem decorated with a ladder pattern resembling that on the base and cover.
- The seams were reinforced with decorated strips of material called ‘orphreys’, which were arranged to hang vertically front and back.
Middle English: from Old French orfreis, from a medieval Latin alteration of auriphrygium, from Latin aurum 'gold' + Phrygius 'Phrygian' (also used in the sense 'embroidered').
Más definiciones de orphreyDefinición de orphrey en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.