verbo (outspans, outspanning, outspanned)[with object]
- 1Unharness (an animal) from a wagon: the wagons were drawn up beside the road and the oxen outspanned [no object]: they outspanned at the hotelMás ejemplos en oraciones
- We then outspanned for the night.
- 1.1 [no object] Rest or camp at the side of the road while travelling by wagon: we used to outspan for five or six hours in the heat of the dayMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I outspanned on what is now Market Square and let the oxen graze there whilst I walked up to where my Aunt lay ill in a tent.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A place for grazing or camping on a wagon journey.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The trekking routes and outspans - a term derived from unyoking a team of oxen - became major channels of communication into the interior.
early 19th century: from Dutch uitspannen 'unyoke'.