verbo (past overcame; past participle overcome)[with object]
- 1Succeed in dealing with (a problem or difficulty): he overcame his pain for a timeMás ejemplos en oraciones
get the better of, prevail over, control, get control of, get/bring under control, bridle, tame, master, gain mastery over, deal with, conquer, defeat, vanquish, beat, solve, triumph over, best, worst, overpower, overwhelm; get over, get a grip on, curb, subdue, subjugate, repress, quell, quash• informal lick
- I learned to cover my pains and overcame my poverty with hard work and a new hope for my future.
- Glasgow is working hard to overcome these problems and the city is undergoing rapid economic change.
- Many governments are trying to overcome their problems and some are succeeding.
- 1.1Defeat (an opponent): an experienced England side overcame the determined home teamMás ejemplos en oraciones
defeat, beat, best, conquer, trounce, thrash, rout, vanquish, overwhelm, overpower, destroy, drub, get the better of, triumph over, prevail over, gain a victory over, win over/against, outdo, outclass, outstrip, surpass, excel, worst, subdue, quash, crush• informal slaughter, murder, kill, clobber, hammer, whip, lick, paste, crucify, demolish, tank, wipe the floor with, make mincemeat of, blow out of the water, take to the cleaners, walk (all) over, run rings aroundBritish • informal stuffUS • informal own
- No little effort was required to overcome stubborn opponents who showed why they have been rejuvenated of late.
- Corretja, seeded eighth, has yet to drop a set at one of his favourite tournaments but had to wait for six hours before finally overcoming his opponent.
- Tai Chi uses the power of relaxation, rather than force, to overcome an opponent.
- 1.2(Of a feeling or emotion) overpower or overwhelm: she was obviously overcome with excitementMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It is perfectly acceptable for a real man to cry when he is overcome with emotion.
- She was overcome with emotions as she gazed at the purest sunset she had ever laid eyes on.
- She was overcome with the feeling that she had to do something and she wasn't doing it.