Pronunciación: /əʊvəˈhɔːl /[with object]
- 1Take apart (a piece of machinery or equipment) in order to examine it and repair it if necessary: the steering box was recently overhauledMás ejemplos en oraciones
service, maintain, repair, mend, fix up, patch up, rebuild, renovate, revamp, recondition, remodel, refit, refurbish, modernize; regulate, adjust; check, check out, check over, check up on, give something a check-up, investigate, inspect, examine, survey; revise, update, reconsider, rework, restructure, realign, shake up; Northern English fettle• informal do up
- As a result we have been maintaining and overhauling these engines for 25 years.
- Around 250 jobs in the division, which maintains, repairs and overhauls gas turbines, are being cut as part of a rationalisation plan.
- Alex and his son have completely and utterly overhauled this machine over a period of two and a half years in what was painstaking work.
- 1.1Analyse and improve (a system): moves to overhaul the income tax systemMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Its arrival has not yielded a new Constitution, rationalised the party system, modernised justice or overhauled the bureaucracy in any of the ways its advocates hoped it would.
- They are going to have to overhaul the welfare system.
- He has more to do to overhaul the welfare system and public services in this country.
- 2British Overtake (someone), especially in a sporting event: Jodami overhauled his chief rivalMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Needing to finish four places ahead of Paul Foerster and Kevin Burnham, the British pair were unable to overhaul their American rivals.
- With our young players we would have a great base to build on and could overhaul our rivals.
- He overhauled team-mate Andy Burt, but always had too much to do to catch Hilton.
Pronunciación: /ˈəʊvəhɔːl /Volver al principio
- A thorough examination of machinery or a system, with repairs or changes made if necessary: a major overhaul of environmental policiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They can only be honestly confronted by a thorough overhaul of the system the minister will be asked to control.
- If Indonesia wants to have an internationally competitive workforce, a major overhaul of its educational system is only the first step in a long process that lies ahead.
- A new report charges that Ontario's food safety system needs a major overhaul.