- 1Defeat or overcome with superior strength: he overpowered the two men and frogmarched them to the police stationMás ejemplos en oraciones
gain control over, overwhelm, prevail over, get the better of, get the upper hand over, gain mastery over, master, control, overthrow, overturn, upset, subdue, suppress, subjugate, repress, quell, quash, crush, finish, bring someone to their knees, break, conquer, defeat, vanquish, beat, be victorious over, gain a victory over, triumph over, best, worst, trounce, routUS • informal own
- He is hated for being a rich bully who uses his strength and wealth to overpower those who are weaker and poorer than he is.
- They would overpower you with their strength and their will and the sheer pace of their play.
- I struggled against this restriction, but his strength far overpowered mine.
- 1.1Be too intense for; overwhelm: they were overpowered by the fumesMás ejemplos en oraciones
overcome, overwhelm, sweep over, move, stir, affect, touch, impress, sweep someone off their feet, strike, stun, shake, disturb, devastate, take aback, daze, leave speechless, spellbind, dazzle, flooroppressive, weighty, unbearable, unendurable, intolerable, shattering, intimidating, overbearing, dominating• informal mind-blowingstifling, suffocating, pervasive, penetrating, strong, pungent, powerful; nauseating, nauseous, sickly, offensive, acrid, astringent, sharp, bitter, fetid, cloying, mephitic; heady, aromatic
- I sat there gazing at Robert and the more I did, the more an intense feeling overpowered me.
- His overwhelming need for sleep overpowered any attempt to think at all.
- As he came toward the reactor, his sadness and confusion was overpowered by his fighter pilot instincts.