Definición de pansy en inglés:
sustantivo (plural pansies)
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae: several species and hybrids, in particular V. × wittrockiana
- Superb instant effects can be achieved by using semi-advanced seedlings of annual flowers such as lobelia, marigolds, pansies and primulas, which are all low-growing and suitable for containers.
- I plant pansies and violas, too, for color now and again in spring.
- Seed catalogues can usually be relied upon to indicate which pansies and violas are good for most if not all the winters we are likely to experience.
- Echinodiscus bisperforatus, class Echinoidea
- GnRH immunoreactivity has also been identified in two anthozoan species: the sea pansy, Renilla koellikeri, and the sea anemone, Nematostella vectensis.
- In the sea pansy, Renilla koellikeri, serotonin can stimulate rhythmic muscular contraction and spawning, and melatonin can inhibit these contractions.
- The unusual ‘sea pansy,’ Renilla, has a primary polyp that is broad and flattened, with autozooids and siphonozooids on the upper surface.
Late Middle English: from French pensée 'thought, pansy', from penser 'think', from Latin pensare, frequentative of pendere 'weigh, consider'.
pensive from Late Middle English:
Pensive is from Old French pensif from penser ‘to think’: this is via Latin pensare ‘to ponder’ from pendere ‘to weigh’. The notion is of ‘weighing up’ the merits of various options. Ponder (Middle English) ‘to consider, weigh things up’ and ponderous (Late Middle English) ‘weighty’ come from the same root. The flower name pansy also comes from the same source, being the English spelling of the French pensée ‘thought’. This is because of the face-like markings on the flowers, which in old varieties looked as if they were hanging down pensively. See penthouse
Palabras que riman con pansytansy
Definición de pansy en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.