Definición de parakeet en inglés:
- Family Psittacidae: five genera, e.g. Psittacula of Asia and Africa and Cyanoramphus of Australasia, and many species
- The echo parakeet is probably the most intensively managed bird in the world today, and it frustrates Jones that endangered species elsewhere are not supported with the same offensive onslaught.
- He has shared his yard north of Santa Monica, California, with many species of birds, including the black-hooded parakeet, for 25 years.
- Crows, Cuckoos and Parakeets are very destructive, parakeets not only destroy fruit tree buds but also raid nests and kill nestlings.
Mid 16th century: from Old French paroquet, Italian parrocchetto, and Spanish periquito; origin uncertain, perhaps (via Italian) based on a diminutive meaning 'little wig', referring to head plumage, or (via Spanish) based on a diminutive of the given name Pedro.
parrot from early 16th century:
The original English term for a parrot was popinjay. This came from French papingay which came, via Spanish, from Arabic babbaga, which may have been formed in imitation of the bird's cry. The ending of the French word was altered to resemble the name of the bird, the jay. The change to a term for a conceited, vain person came in the early 16th century. The origin of the word parrot may lie in the tendency to give pet birds human names. The word, recorded in the early 16th century, could represent French Pierrot, a pet form of Pierre ‘Peter’. People often address a pet bird as ‘Pretty Polly’, and the name Polly has been used to mean ‘a parrot’ since the early 19th century, while Poll is first recorded as a parrot's name in 1600. The word parakeet [M16th] may be a similar formation based on the Spanish given name Pedro, also ‘Peter’. Alternatively it may have come via Italian from a word meaning ‘little wig’, referring to the bird's head plumage. See also moon
Palabras que riman con parakeetlorikeet
Definición de parakeet en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.