Definición de paymaster en inglés:
1A person or organization that pays another to do something and therefore controls them: both political parties were beholden to their corporate paymasters
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The rest were suited and booted, meeting the corporate paymasters and generally celebrating.
- Rectors and directors of education will face up neither to these parents nor their political paymasters.
- These are the people who get their hands dirty on policy details, and can deliver the goodies to the corporate paymasters.
2An official who pays troops or workers.
- Initially, most Afghan warlords regarded the Special Forces merely as paymasters, and were reluctant to let them go to the front lest they be injured or killed.
- This has been a common occurrence throughout history - military parades were originally designed to prove to the paymasters that the troops actually existed and were properly equipped.
- Minor German states, meanwhile, were more prepared than ever to hire out troops to paymasters in London.
2.1 (in full Paymaster General) British The minister at the head of the Treasury department responsible for payments.
- She was the superintendent of the typing pool at the Paymaster General's office.
- The National Association of Citizens' Advice Bureaux has written to the Paymaster General asking for action to protect the victims.
- The Paymaster General said: ‘Some people have been experiencing genuine difficulties with the start of the new system.’
Definición de paymaster en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary