- A deficiency disease caused by a lack of nicotinic acid or its precursor tryptophan in the diet. It is characterized by dermatitis, diarrhoea, and mental disturbance, and is often linked to over-dependence on maize as a staple food.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Those highly dependent on corn as a food might develop pellagra and this chronic disease, causing dermatitis, diarrhea, and ultimately dementia, battered the population of European corn growing regions during the nineteenth century.
- Deficiency leads to pellagra, a condition characterized by dermatitis, diarrhea and certain mental health problems.
- The troops suffered from malaria, dengue fever, beriberi, hookworm and pellagra.
early 19th century: from Italian, from pelle 'skin', on the pattern of podagra.
Más definiciones de pellagraDefinición de pellagra en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.