Linguistics & Philosophy
Definición de performative en inglés:
Relating to or denoting an utterance by means of which the speaker performs a particular act (e.g. I bet, I apologize, I promise). Often contrasted with constative.
- Rather, these are performative utterances, which do not so much say something as do something.
- He thinks performative sentences do not have truth conditions because they do not describe or report anything.
- But if literary language is performative and if a performative utterance is not true or false but felicitous or infelicitous, what does it mean for a literary utterance to be felicitous or infelicitous?
sustantivoVolver al principio
A performative utterance: here statements are not descriptive utterances but performatives
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Performative utterances, or performatives, are not true or false and actually perform the action to which they refer.
- Such speech acts, called performatives, cannot be said to be true or false.
- Illocutionary acts, in addition to covering such explicit performatives as promising, also include statements.
Definición de performative en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary