Definición de periphrasis en inglés:
sustantivo (plural periphrases /-siːz/)[mass noun]
1The use of indirect and circumlocutory speech or writing.
- In order to refer to the activity denoted by the F-word, it is necessary to engage in circumlocution or periphrasis.
- When Johnson refers to his mind as ‘Summus… celsa dominator [in] arce ’, the elaborate periphrasis mockingly dramatizes the blustery ‘empty force’ of his mind's pretensions.
- The parodic cupid's dart is described with the maximum of periphrasis compatible with not actually disguising what the organ is, ‘a piece of flesh, the characteristic part of a barrow-pig’.
1.1 [count noun] An indirect and circumlocutory phrase: a rather pompous periphrasis
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Her dread is so great that at the end of her progress she does not even allow his name to pass her lips and uses periphrases to talk of him.
- His deliberate translationese, his consciously awkward periphrases, and yes, his fart jokes suggest that all language, or all poetry, might be as artificial and arbitrary as his own: why not redo ‘Where are the snows of yesteryear?’
- Homeric glosses, along with scholarly neologisms and obscure periphrases, are prominent in his poetry.
Definición de periphrasis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan