Definición de periphrasis en inglés:
sustantivo (plural periphrases /-siːz/)[mass noun]
1The use of indirect and circumlocutory speech or writing.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- In order to refer to the activity denoted by the F-word, it is necessary to engage in circumlocution or periphrasis.
- When Johnson refers to his mind as ‘Summus… celsa dominator [in] arce ’, the elaborate periphrasis mockingly dramatizes the blustery ‘empty force’ of his mind's pretensions.
- The parodic cupid's dart is described with the maximum of periphrasis compatible with not actually disguising what the organ is, ‘a piece of flesh, the characteristic part of a barrow-pig’.
1.1 [count noun] An indirect and circumlocutory phrase: a rather pompous periphrasis
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Her dread is so great that at the end of her progress she does not even allow his name to pass her lips and uses periphrases to talk of him.
- His deliberate translationese, his consciously awkward periphrases, and yes, his fart jokes suggest that all language, or all poetry, might be as artificial and arbitrary as his own: why not redo ‘Where are the snows of yesteryear?’
- Homeric glosses, along with scholarly neologisms and obscure periphrases, are prominent in his poetry.
Definición de periphrasis en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia