Definición de pessimism en inglés:
- The birth rate is the lowest in Europe, reflecting deep pessimism about the future and the astonishingly high cost of housing.
- There's no cause for pessimism, we should believe in ourselves and use that self-belief to choose now and irrevocably the path of reform.
- Despite my pessimism I still believe that the situation can be resolved.
- Kant's pessimism was based on his conception of the nature of living organisms.
- If pessimism has a spiritual godfather it is perhaps the German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.
- Schopenhauer was the high priest of philosophical pessimism.
Late 18th century: from Latin pessimus 'worst', on the pattern of optimism.
optimism from mid 18th century:
Philosophers in the 18th century coined optimism for the theory that this is the best of all possible worlds. The word goes back to Latin optimum ‘best thing’. By the early 19th century it had gained wider currency, and was being used to mean a general tendency to hope for the best. The opposite, pessimism (from Latin pessimus ‘worst’), was also coined in the 18th century, when it meant ‘the worst possible state or condition’.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.