Definición de petrify en inglés:
verbo (petrifies, petrifying, petrified)[with object]
1Change (organic matter) into a stony substance by encrusting or replacing it with a calcareous, siliceous, or other mineral deposit.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The chemical components used to artificially petrify wood can be found in natural settings around volcanoes and within sedimentary strata.
- As the ham was petrified within ‘historic time’, it was excluded on the basis of the first of these definitions from being called a fossil.
- The charcoal had kept the hull dry and the salt had petrified it.
2Make (someone) so frightened that they are unable to move: his icy controlled quietness petrified her
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- You are petrified of letting people see how vulnerable you can be and have a very bad case of stage fright.
- I am petrified of heights and last year did an abseil which I found really scary.
- But I'm also petrified of joblessness, insecurity, and drastic changes happening all at once.
terrified, terror-stricken, terror-struck, horrified, horror-stricken, horror-struck, scared/frightened out of one's wits, scared witless, scared/frightened to death, aghast, appalled;
terrify, horrify, frighten, scare, scare to death, scare someone out of their wits, scare witless, scare the living daylights out of, frighten the life out of, strike terror into, fill with fear, put the fear of God into, make someone's blood run cold, chill someone's blood, panic, throw into a panic, alarm, appal;
paralyse, stun, stupefy, transfix
informal scare the pants off
British informal throw into a blue funk, put the wind up
Irish informal scare the bejesus out of
Palabras que riman con petrifyelectrify • gentrify • rarefy
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda