A chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, especially a mammal or an insect, affecting the behaviour or physiology of others of its species.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Once an enterprising hornet scouts out a bee colony, it marks the nest with a type of bodily chemical substance called a pheromone.
- Bluntnose minnows probably release chemicals called pheromones when they are alarmed.
- In most species, the pheromones act as attractants and sexual stimulants.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Red-backed salamanders, Plethodon cinereus, use territorial advertisement in the form of agonistic displays and pheromonal scent marking as a mechanism for intraspecific interference competition.
- Thus, females that attempted to avoid courtship (as predicted under the hypothesis of sexual conflict) might be able to do so by selecting sites with fewer pheromonal cues from males.
- Urine signals, excreted through nephropores located near the base of the antennae, are a likely source of pheromonal cues in decapods.
1950s: from Greek pherein 'convey' + hormone.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: phero|mone
Definición de pheromone en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda