(Of a person or organization) seeking to promote the welfare of others; generous and benevolent: they receive financial support from philanthropic bodies
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- But she's a philanthropic person - her charitable foundation's done a lot of work.
- For much of our history medical care was delivered by religious organisations or philanthropic individuals and institutions.
- There are philanthropic organizations that raise money from the public and channel it to needy parents.
charitable, generous, benevolent, humanitarian, public-spirited, altruistic, socially concerned, magnanimous, munificent, open-handed, bountiful, liberal, ungrudging, unstinting, generous to a fault, beneficent, benignant, caring, compassionate, solicitous, unselfish, selfless, humane, kind, kind-hearted, big-hearted
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- He did do good things, and was a very good friend - a very philanthropically minded person and a liberal spirit in an incredibly reactionary age.
- The vast sums that flew in and out of his accounts, he said in a classic Burkism, were ‘walking around money’, to be spent philanthropically while touring his constituency.
- TarraWarra was Australia's first philanthropically funded public museum, a gift by Eva and Marc Besen of Melbourne who raided their private collection to start it.
Late 18th century: from French philanthropique, from Greek philanthrōpos 'man-loving' (see philanthrope).
Palabras que riman con philanthropicectopic, gyroscopic, heliotropic, horoscopic, isotopic, isotropic, kaleidoscopic, macroscopic, microscopic, misanthropic, myopic, phototropic, telescopic, topic, tropic
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: phil¦an|throp¦ic
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda