- An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something: she suffered from a phobia about birdsMás ejemplos en oraciones
abnormal fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, fear, dread, horror, terror, dislike, hatred, loathing, detestation, distaste, aversion, antipathy, revulsion, repulsion; spectre, bugbear, bogey, nightmare, bête noire; complex, fixation, preoccupation, idée fixe, mania, neurosis, anxiety, obsession
- Irrational fears and phobias, for example, are essentially habits of mind that we acquire, not feelings we were born with.
- It accounts for most of our fears, even our likes and dislikes, and phobias.
- It is certainly possible to argue that neurotic symptoms, like phobias or obsessions, are strictly determined.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Symptoms responding included anxiety, frequency and severity of panic attacks, and phobic fear and avoidance.
- The women were asked about experiences of depressive, phobic, panic-related, obsessive-compulsive, and social anxiety symptoms in the past 12 months.
- Overall, it appears that anxious and phobic individuals have more difficulty suppressing unwanted thoughts than do nonanxious individuals.
late 18th century: independent usage of -phobia.