- 1(In classical mythology) a unique bird that lived for five or six centuries in the Arabian desert, after this time burning itself on a funeral pyre and rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live through another cycle.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The award is named in recognition of the mythological phoenix, a bird that lived five centuries, died and was reborn from its own ashes.
- Unicorns, elves, leprechauns, phoenixes, griffins, and humans all existed very peacefully together on Earth, until evil was set loose.
- The phoenix was a mythical bird of ancient Egypt which reputedly burned every 500 years and rose rejuvenated from its ashes.
- 1.1A person or thing regarded as uniquely remarkable in some respect: I’m that phoenix, the old-fashioned family doctorMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It would be wonderful if city planning in Sofia could strike out on a unique, radical path creating a phoenix of a capital suitable for third millennium urban living.
- He is a phoenix rising from mediocrity, an actor in perpetual renaissance.
rise like a phoenix from the ashes
- Emerge renewed after apparent disaster or destruction: the team began their brave attempt to rise like some phoenix from the ashesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- But if we look to the future with everything that is going on we can see the city rising like a phoenix from the ashes.
- But his legacy remains and the 80s saw rock music rising like a phoenix from the ashes.
- There I was describing Duncan as a failure in Finland, and thousands of miles away at Everton he rises like a phoenix from the ashes to score against Manchester United.
from Old French fenix, via Latin from Greek phoinix 'Phoenician, reddish purple, or phoenix'. The relationship between the Greek senses is obscure: it could not be ‘the Phoenician bird’ because the legend centres on the temple at Heliopolis in Egypt, where the phoenix is said to have burnt itself on the altar. Perhaps the basic sense is 'purple', symbolic of fire and possibly the primary sense of Phoenicia as the purple land (or land of the sunrise).
Más definiciones de PhoenixDefinición de phoenix en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.