Definición de piddock en inglés:
A bivalve mollusc which bores into soft rock or other firm surfaces. The valves of the shell have a conspicuous gap between them and rough frontal ridges to aid in boring.
- Pholas and other genera, family Pholadidae
- In SE Asia piddocks may be boiled and eaten with sauce and rice, or sautéed with shallots, or made into a curry.
- The piddock has a thin, brittle shell that is similar in shape and sculpturing on both sides.
- Some boring shellfish bore with chemistry, but the American piddock is a mechanical borer repetitively grinding its shell with a rotating movement backward and forward to create a burrow for itself in softer substrates in the shallows of the intertidal zones.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definición de piddock en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan