- 1A person who journeys to a sacred place for religious reasons.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- For Goddess pilgrims, as for orthodox religious pilgrims, the sacred place is a place of power which can work upon the pilgrim at various levels of their being.
- Nonetheless, pilgrims of whatever religious belief often find the hike to be one of the most spiritually meaningful events of their lives.
- Along the way Clark relates the stories of 11th-century religious pilgrims alongside her contemporary journey of rediscovery.
- 1.1A person travelling to a place of particular personal interest: thousands of pilgrims converged in Memphis for the 16th anniversary of Presley’s deathMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Literary pilgrims will find a plaque on the wall commemorating their time there.
- 1.2chiefly • literary A person regarded as journeying through life: we should recognize our status as mere pilgrims in this worldMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Ivan Illich is both a pilgrim and an intellectual pioneer.
- 2 (usually Pilgrim) A member of the Pilgrim Fathers.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This is a monument dedicated in 1910 to commemorate the first landing of the Pilgrims in 1620 at Provincetown, where they wrote and signed the Mayflower Compact.
- The Geneva Bible is the version that would have been most familiar to the older generation of Pilgrims.
verbo (pilgrims, pilgriming, pilgrimed)[no object, with adverbial of direction] • archaic Volver al principio
- Travel or wander like a pilgrim: he pilgrimed to his old sporting placesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- On Sunday night I pilgrimed to Dundas to see Pernell Goodyear and the Freeway with Darryl and Charlene Dash.
- I think I have to pilgrim to Urbanville, but not til the semester's over.
- The cobbled streets aged from the many feet that pilgrim to the popular spot.
pilgrimize (also pilgrimise)
( • archaic )
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Guoqing Temple, the ancestral temple of Tiantai-sect of the Japanese and Korean Buddhism, is where over 3.00 million Tiantai-sect Buddhists in Japan, South Korea and Southeast Asia pilgrimize.
- Indian and Nepali citizens holding ordinary passport should join a pilgrimage group if planning to pilgrimize in Tibet.
Middle English: from Provençal pelegrin, from Latin peregrinus 'foreign' (see peregrine).