Definición de pillar en inglés:
1A tall vertical structure of stone, wood, or metal, used as a support for a building, or as an ornament or monument.
- Every bungalow is supported on stone pillars, which permits us to maintain the natural terrain and vegetation.
- The former asylum opened in 1816 is a stately quadrangular building of stone with pillars of the Doric order.
- They carve memorial pillars in wood and stone for their dead.
1.1Something shaped like a pillar: a pillar of rock
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The memory cell includes an access transistor formed in a pillar of single crystal semiconductor material.
- Suddenly, when his opponent was close to the wall he sent a pillar of rock shooting towards Michael's head.
- Elisa, Dhaiiski, and Cassida appeared downtown area at the center of a pillar of yellow circles.
1.3A person or thing regarded as reliably providing essential support for something: he was a pillar of his local community
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The US considers it essential to maintain Morocco as a pillar of support in the Arab world.
- She learned Arabic and became a pillar of support in local communities, often helping the needy in the face of opposition during the dictator's regime.
- All those detained in the sweep were members of a family described as a pillar of support for the ousted regime, said the US Lieutenant Colonel.
from pillar to post
- From one place to another in an unceremonious or fruitless manner: they were pushed from pillar to post from the moment they left their homesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Mrs Swaffield said: ‘It is so wrong that this old lady is being pushed around from pillar to post.’
- Patients with mental health problems will no longer be pushed from pillar to post once a new resource centre has opened at Queensway House in Southend.
- ‘I feel very guilty even now about how David got pushed from pillar to post,’ said Linda.
- Example sentences
- The courts were erected in 1835 and the façade with its pillared portico was a brutal statement of power designed to strike fear into the hearts of would-be miscreants who might suffer the full weight of a harsh penal code.
- The discreet wealth of this corner of London, with the pillared porticos of clubland, and the gleaming brass plaques of private banks, no doubt witnesses its own share of deal-making on Africa.
- There will be a residents' trust to oversee the running of the New England style development, which will feature a white pillared community hall and even a concierge service for household chores.