Definición de pinch-hit en inglés:
verbo[no object] Baseball
1Bat instead of another player, typically at a critical point in the game.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Bob Bartum then pinch-hit for center fielder Don Landrum and hit a sacrifice fly to bring home the winning run.
- Jackson, who had been sitting out with a hamstring pull, actually did make an appearance in the game when he pinch-hit for Dick Green.
- The Red Sox were losing 6-3 in the bottom of the eighth inning when I pinch-hit for Roger Moret.
1.1North American informal Act as a substitute for someone, especially in an emergency: last year, I pinch-hit for a movie critic on paternity leave
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And she pinch-hits for Kelly, and she does a fine job.
- Well, speaking of a pause, time for us to take another pause, Dan Rather with Jay Leno, pinch-hitting tonight for Larry King.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The current overload left manager Alvin Dark short of capable pinch-hitters and defensive replacements.
- In his first at-bat, the pinch-hitter is replacing someone in the lineup, but in his second at-bat, he is part of the order and not hitting for someone else.
- He singled as a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the ninth last night and was removed for a pinch-runner to a standing ovation.
Definición de pinch-hit en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en India