- 1 [mass noun] The practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Recent examples of Somalian piracy includes raids on ships carrying supplies for the UN World Food Programme.
- Koizumi told reporters that many incidents of piracy have occurred despite shipping companies' own efforts to protect themselves.
- She couldn't possibly wear it often, and much less know about ships and piracy.
- 1.1A practice similar to piracy but in other contexts, especially hijacking: air piracyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The topic was the arming of airline pilots as a defense against air piracy and terrorism.
- Nevertheless, Mr. Critton's act of air piracy is very much the context of the crimes for which he is to be sentenced.
- On May 17, a West German court convicted Mohammad Ali Hamadei of murder and air piracy and sentenced him to life imprisonment.
- 2The unauthorized use or reproduction of another’s work: software piracyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Preston also sought the hack printers who actually produced the piracies.
- Willetts therefore argued that, far from destroying an industry, his piracies had no significant effect at all on existing publishers' sales.
- Newton learned to exploit the commercial press by secretly publishing his works and disowning them as piracies.
mid 16th century: via medieval Latin from Greek pirateia, from peiratēs (see pirate).