Definición de pitched battle en inglés:
1A battle in which the time and place are determined beforehand, rather than a casual or chance skirmish.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The ‘victories’ of the Alliance, in north and south, follow rounds of skirmishing and negotiating rather than pitched battles.
- The news of their escapades be it in fleeting skirmish or pitched battles was eagerly listened to in Ireland.
- He is now, in his third age, a military historian specialising in the pitched battles of the Second World War.
1.1A violent confrontation involving large numbers of people: students engaged in pitched battles with the police
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The state responded with violence: there were pitched battles with riot police.
- In April 1981 rampaging mobs fought pitched battles with police in Brixton, south London, in scenes that shocked the nation.
- A local football derby exploded into violence when hooligans from Hull took over the bar of a Lincoln hotel and began a pitched battle with police.
Definición de pitched battle en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Canadá
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en Pakistán