A small ground-dwelling thrush-like bird with brightly coloured plumage and a very short tail, found in the Old World tropics.
- Family Pittidae and genus Pitta: many species
- Even though pittas are often very brightly colored, the color is usually located either on their undersides or on areas that can be covered when the wings are folded.
- Asities' closest relatives are actually pittas and broadbills (Eurylaimidae).
- Pittas and broadbills are found primarily in southern and southeastern Asia, but a small number of species from both groups are found in Africa, and two species of pittas have reached Australia from the north.
mid 19th century: from Telugu piṭṭa '(young) bird'.
(also pitta bread, North American pita)
Flat, hollow, slightly leavened bread which can be split open to hold a filling: low-calorie starters include tzatziki with a little pitta [count noun]: flat pitta breads make perfect sandwiches
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I like real food; pitta bread not garlic pitta bread.
- One of the main Arab dishes is called hummus, which is ground chickpeas and garlic with spices served with flat pita bread.
- We had the wine, the sparkling water, the started salad, the starter garlic pita bread and then pizzas all round.
modern Greek, literally 'cake or pie'; compare with Turkish pide, in a similar sense.