sustantivo (plural plasmodia /plazˈməʊdɪə/)
1A parasitic protozoan of a genus which includes those causing malaria.
- Genus Plasmodium, phylum Sporozoa.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The genome of the malarial parasite - plasmodium falciparum was only completed two years ago.
- Malaria is a serious illness transmitted by the ‘bite’ of the female Anopheles mosquito which has parasitic protozoa of the genus plasmodium falciparum, plasmodium malariae, plasmodium vivax.
- Coluzzi's research indicates that the most serious type of malaria (known as plasmodium falciparum) reached Rome at about the time of Christ.
2 Biology A form within the life cycle of some simple organisms such as slime moulds, typically consisting of a mass of protoplasm containing many nuclei.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The haploid myxamoebae act as isogametes; individuals of different mating types pair and fuse to form diploid zygotes that develop into macroscopic, diploid plasmodia after repeated mitotic cycles without cell division.
- P. polycephalum is a protist that in the course of its life cycle forms multinuclear giant single cells, so-called plasmodia that can be grown to almost any desired size.
- The life cycle of Physarum includes two distinct vegetative forms: the haploid amoeba and the diploid plasmodium.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In fungi, plasmodial slime mold displays a diploid life history.
- Note that the life cycle of the wild type usually is diploid and mating of two haploid amoebae then is a prerequisite for plasmodial development and allows genetic analyses.
- This channel, the plasmodial erythrocyte surface anion channel, is present at 1000-2000 functional copies/cell and is absent from uninfected RBCs.
Palabras que riman con plasmodiumodeum, odium, podium, sodium
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: plas|mo¦dium
Definición de plasmodium en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda