- 1Feeling or showing pleasure and satisfaction, especially at an event or a situation: both girls were pleased with their new hairstyles he seemed really pleased that she was there a pleased smileMás ejemplos en oraciones
happy, glad, delighted, gratified, grateful, thankful, content, contented, satisfied, well pleased, thrilled, elated, as pleased as Punch, overjoyed, cock-a-hoop, like a dog with two tails, like a child with a new toy• informal over the moon, tickled pink, on cloud nine/sevenBritish • informal chuffedNorthern English • informal made upAustralian • informal wrapped• derogatory complacent, smug• humorous gruntled
- Bonnie smiled, secretly pleased that the girl was now talking.
- Sandie gave me a knowing smile, seemingly pleased that she had ‘diagnosed’ us as a couple so well.
- She smiled, inwardly pleased that he felt the same way about her as a challenge as she did towards him.
- 1.1 [with infinitive] Willing or glad to do something: we will be pleased to provide an independent appraisalMás ejemplos en oraciones
- "We are pleased to advise we are happy to offer cover in this matter.
- I am therefore pleased to advise that I am minded to withdraw my direction to refuse.
- I am pleased to advise the Committee that this has not been the case with Part 5.
- 1.2 (pleased with oneself) Proud of one’s achievements, especially excessively so; self-satisfied: as he led the way, he looked very pleased with himselfMás ejemplos en oraciones
self-satisfied, smug, complacent, self-congratulatory, superior, puffed up, self-approving, well pleased, proud of oneself• informal goody-goodyBritish • informal like the cat that's got the cream, I'm-all-right-JackNorth American • informal wisenheimerNorth American • vulgar slang shit-eating
- I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself and proud of the control I have over the car.
- Certain acts leave us proud and pleased with ourselves.
- Mike said: ‘Chorlton is incredibly smug and pleased with itself.’
(as) pleased as Punch
- see punch4.
not best pleased
- British • informal Annoyed or irritated: the government-backed organizations were not best pleased by the criticismMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The real Board of Deputies are not best pleased.
- Dick Advocaat's limited post-match observations on his back-up goalkeeper's problems suggest the manager is not best pleased with him.
- Unfortunately, the cities' administrators are not best pleased.
pleased to meet you
- Said on being introduced to someone: ‘This is my wife.’ ‘Pleased to meet you.’Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Brian immediately turned and politely introduced himself: ‘I'm very pleased to meet you, Mr. Kirby.’
- And Lawrence Zeiger said, I'm pleased to meet you.
- He paid for the coffee and said pleased to meet you and was talking to himself on the way out.