- And now I knew the names of most of the foods set before me, spoke with elegance and poise, danced with grace, and could even say a few words in French and Italian!
- Despite this, she was a ballet dancer who had the grace, poise, and elegance of an angel.
- The prayer is nothing but an expression of these manifestations and, with graceful poise, combines all of them.
- By their physiques, thankfully the majority retain poise and dignity.
- He descended to raucous and tasteless personal attacks on the Gandhis and generally showed little dignity, poise or gravitas.
- I think the family has shown remarkable dignity and poise throughout this entire ordeal.
verboVolver al principio
- ‘We are at your service, madam,’ he said, poising his fingertips together above his stomach.
- Yet, as we all know, popular art would be nowhere without the perpetual, inconclusive drama of crossing the line - poising at the edge of the abyss, sometimes pulling back, sometimes falling in.
- ‘Coming,’ I replied, poising myself at the edge of the stack.
- Text messaging, a huge success for the mobile phone business, is now poised for take-off via fixed lines as well, with some intriguing implications.
- Nikki was poised for several stressful weeks of preparation.
- The incumbent platforms are not yet ready to fade away and we are now poised for a period when new equilibriums will be established.
late Middle English (in the sense 'weight'): from Old French pois, peis (noun), peser (verb), from an alteration of Latin pensum 'weight', from the verb pendere 'weigh'. From the early senses of 'weight' and 'measure of weight' arose the notion of 'equal weight, balance', leading to the extended senses 'composure' and 'elegant bearing'.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
early 20th century: from the name of Jean L. M. Poiseuille (1799–1869), French physician.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.