- You will tell them that most nights you just sit home chewing on white-hot pokers straight from the fire.
- We could not produce blue-prints or mould metal pokers in the forge.
- Soldiers also use pokers and metal detectors, digging deeper earth to locate the mines.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
- I do not know of any state that has passed a law stating that players can play poker online.
- Also, to refuse to fold when a player knows that he or she is beat is stubbornness, not poker.
- To succeed at the top levels of poker you need your head, your heart and your groin to be able to take it.
mid 19th century: of US origin; perhaps related to German pochen 'to brag', Pochspiel 'bragging game'.
po-faced from [1930s]:
The po in po-faced, ‘humourless and disapproving’, probably comes from the use of po to mean ‘chamber pot’, though it might also have been influenced by the exclamation ‘poh!’, used to reject something contemptuously. In any event, the phrase is likely to be modelled on the expression poker-faced (early 20th century). This comes from the need to keep a deadpan face when playing poker. The game, first recorded in the 1830s in the USA probably gets its name from the German word pochen ‘to brag’.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.