1A weasel-like Eurasian mammal with mainly dark brown fur and a darker mask across the eyes, noted for its fetid smell.
- Genus Mustela, family Mustelidae: three species, in particular the European polecat (M. putorius), which is the probable ancestor of the domestic ferret
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Adult and juvenile gerbils of both sexes give alarm calls and footdrum in the presence of an assortment of terrestrial predators: snakes, monitor lizards, foxes, polecats, weasels, humans and large ungulates.
- Martin, from Wilmslow, is particularly fond of the polecat - the mammal from which ferrets evolved - and over two years he has rescued 10 injured polecats and then sent them back into their habitat to breed.
- He said the smell was caused by polecats, which have a natural pungent odour, and the dead bird had stunned itself the previous day when it escaped and flew into a window.
1.1 North American term for skunk.
Middle English: perhaps from Old French pole 'chicken' + cat1.
Definición de polecat en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.