- Relating to or denoting a giant chromosome which is composed of many parallel copies of the genetic material, as found in Drosophila fruit flies where they are much used in genetic research.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The structures of rearrangements were defined by mitotic chromosome staining as well as by genetic and polytene chromosome analysis.
- Anopheline mosquitoes, like Drosophila, are renowned for the presence of polytene chromosomes and chromosomal inversions.
- It was mapped in Drosophila by polytene chromosome in situ to 3L heterochromatin.
1930s: from poly- 'many' + -tene (from Greek tainia 'band, ribbon') denoting stages of the first meiotic division.
Más definiciones de polyteneDefinición de polytene en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.