Definición de pork barrel en inglés:
sustantivoNorth American informal
Used in reference to the utilization of government funds for projects designed to please voters or legislators and win votes: the lesson that power is based on the pork barrel and purchased with patronage
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- At the same time, support for the package was assured through a series of corrupt deals that earmarked billions of dollars in funding for pork-barrel projects for legislators' home districts.
- Congress pork-barrel spends and earmarks all of this money while we have enlisted families on food stamps.
- Yet it will be hard to please congressmen while cutting their pork barrel, and as usual, no one seems very eager to cut middle-class entitlement programs.
early 20th century: from the use of a barrel to keep a reserve supply of meat.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Case work and pork-barrelling - the supposed mainstays of congressional politics - are not easily amenable to environmental policy (except for limited specific projects such as designated research labs).
- Hence, his nationalist and scapegoating appeals on such issues as refugees, terrorism and Aboriginal programs, which often has been combined with blatant pork-barrelling and protectionism in favour of local businesses.
- It is no surprise that young voters are remarkably cynical about politics and elections and don't respond to the well-worn path of pork-barrelling and self-interest that is used to appeal to other demographics.
Definición de pork barrel en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia