- Among the dishes made from barley, barley porridge is more delicate than oatmeal porridge, to the point of being rather insipid.
- For breakfast I'll have porridge with soya milk and fruit, sprinkled with some ground cinnamon.
- A restaurant serving dishes including snail porridge and smoked bacon and egg ice cream has been named the second best in the world.
- As if his novels weren't enough, he went on to publish his very own prison diary after doing porridge in London's Belmarsh jail.
- The Home Office has rejected plans to give lags access to the internet and email while doing porridge.
- Try as one might, it is hard to think of another jailbird who was allowed to publish a book while still doing porridge.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The fear of running into one of these Cumbrian ale aficionados, supping on mysterious-smelling brews of porridgy so-called real ale amid background tones of chronic bronchitis, keeps many people away.
- And here they are, a connoisseur's collection of porridgy soundalike slowies that refute the idea that the Irish have a gift for ballads.
- He was back within five minutes with a bowl of strange porridgy looking stuff in a wooded bowl with a wooden spoon.
Mid 16th century (denoting soup thickened with barley): alteration of pottage. Sense 2 dates from the 1950s.
At first porridge was a soup thickened with barley. The word is a 16th-century alteration of pottage (Middle English), which in turn comes from Old French potage ‘something put in a pot’. The porridge we are familiar with, consisting of oatmeal boiled in water or milk, is mentioned in the 1640s. The informal use of porridge to mean ‘prison’ dates from the 1950s. It probably derives from porridge as a typical prison food, though it might be based on a pun involving two meanings of stir, one as in ‘stir the porridge’ and the other a slang term for ‘prison’, which is perhaps from Romany sturbin ‘jail’. The term was immortalized by the BBC comedy series Porridge of the 1970s, which starred Ronnie Barker as Norman Stanley Fletcher, a cynical but good-hearted old convict.
Palabras que riman con porridgeborage, forage, Norwich
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: por|ridge
Definición de porridge en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.