- A word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel or brunch.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The school student may be too naive to know that karaoke is a portmanteau word blending two Japanese words: ‘kara’ meaning empty (as in karate meaning empty hand) and oke (short for okesutora meaning orchestra).
- A portmanteau word combining smoke and fog, the term was popularized by H. A. Des Voeux in his report to the Manchester Conference of the Smoke Abatement League of Great Britain in 1911.
- It's a portmanteau word combining dodgy and hotpot, and means a talking horse - another term in the lexicon - which should be avoided by punters at all costs.
Más definiciones de portmanteau wordDefinición de portmanteau word en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.