- 1Consisting in or characterized by the presence rather than the absence of distinguishing features.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mitomycin C and cyclophosphamide were used as positive controls in the absence and presence of S9, respectively.
- Sadly, there may be many cases where we have to make do with the lesser of two evils rather than a positive good, but there is always a choice.
- Now the dominant trend in radio is to avoid giving listeners a reason to turn off, rather than offering a positive reason to turn on in the first place.
- 1.1Expressing or implying affirmation, agreement, or permission: the company received a positive response from investorsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Of course, there were a number of positive responses, from quiet appeals for calm to supportive speeches in the House of Commons.
- She said the allocation of R500m was a positive affirmation of the role teachers played in the community.
- Maybe I need some of that positive affirmation, brothers and sisters.
- 1.2(Of the results of a test or experiment) indicating that a certain substance or condition is present or exists: a player had tested positive for cocaine useMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Should the test have a positive result, indicating that a condition has been detected, the parents will need counselling and support.
- The experiment has shown positive results, and presently, the infants are living normally.
- Incorrect responses on either or both tasks are scored as a positive result, indicating dementia.
- 1.3 [in combination] (Of a person or their blood) having a specified substance or condition: HIV-positiveMás ejemplos en oraciones
- At her next pregnancy the mother will then pass those antibodies against Rh-positive blood to the fetus.
- In HPV-positive women, not knowing what their results meant was associated with extremely high levels of anxiety.
- An HIV-positive patient is determined to have progressed to full-blown AIDS when they develop any one of a number of symptoms, diseases or viruses.
- 2Constructive, optimistic, or confident: there needs to be a positive approach to young offenders adopt a positive outlook on lifeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Exuding confidence and advocating a positive outlook, he has no harsh words for anyone.
- The meeting appeared to be positive and constructive and we were assured that our views would be taken on board.
- I have always kept my optimism and my positive approach to life.
- 2.1Showing progress or improvement: the prospects for positive growth in the economy do not look goodMás ejemplos en oraciones
- For our purposes, it's enough to say that lowering inflation has positive growth effects.
- But feeding back to parish councils or whoever on our progress is a positive step.
- But science is progressing in a positive manner and countries like India should take advantage of that.
- 3With no possibility of doubt; definite: he made a positive identification of a glossy ibisMás ejemplos en oraciones
definite, conclusive, certain, categorical, unequivocal, incontrovertible, indisputable, undeniable, incontestable, unmistakable, unambiguous, indubitable, unquestionable, irrefutable, beyond question, beyond a doubt, absolute, reliable, persuasive, convincing, concrete, tangible, clear, clear-cut, precise, direct, explicit, express, firm, decisive, real, actual• informal as sure as eggs is eggs
- You need someone who has the actual expertise to confirm positive identification.
- I wish I had a more concrete, definite, positive, upbeat answer to give.
- Where then, Marx asks, is the positive possibility of German freedom to be found?
- 3.1Convinced in one’s opinion; certain: ‘You are sure it was the same man?’ ‘Positive!’ said GeorgeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- She hated him, that was very certain and she grew more and more positive of this fact as the next few days passed.
- Officers had been 99.9 per cent positive it was Jenna because the teenager's ring was found with the body.
- Eyewitness testimony in court cases - even from witnesses who are absolutely positive about what they saw - should be taken with a grain of salt.
- 3.2 [attributive] • informal Downright; complete (used for emphasis): it’s a positive delight to see youMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Food shopping online is a positive delight compared to a couple of years ago, according to those consumer guardians at Which?
- I had an Iron Maiden Tshirt, despite having no affinity for the Maiden at all, and, in fact, a positive disdain.
- Some theologians have a positive genius for cloaking sensible ideas in impenetrable jargon.
- 4(Of a quantity) greater than zero.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He defines limits of positive variable quantities using ideas that he had used in looking at limits of series.
- Zero divided by negative or positive numbers is either zero or is expressed as a fraction with zero as numerator and the finite quantity as denominator.
- He also worked on number theory proving in 1770 that every positive integer is the sum of four squares.
- 5Containing, producing, or denoting an electric charge opposite to that carried by electrons: each battery has a positive and negative terminalMás ejemplos en oraciones
- These minerals in their ion state carry either negative or positive charges, much like a car battery.
- At least one of the positive and negative high voltage power supplies switches between a high state and a low state.
- Predicted by quantum theory, ghost radiation is a negative energy field that dampens normal positive energy.
- 6(Of a photographic image) showing lights and shades or colours true to the original.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This kind of photograph is a unique positive picture produced on a thin sheet of iron blackened by tar.
- To his great surprise, when Pia examined his negatives, there was a positive image!
- In fact, there are two copies of that issue in the bound volumes - one cover features a positive shot, the other a negative one.
- 7 Grammar Denoting the primary degree of an adjective or adverb, which expresses simple quality without qualification. Contrasted with comparative and superlative.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We were studying positive, comparative and superlative adjectives and, as usual, having a pretty hard time with it.
- 8chiefly Philosophy Dealing only with matters of fact and experience; not speculative or theoretical. Compare with positivism ( sense 1).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In other words, it attempts to form a positive conception of noumena.
- There is, furthermore, the second, positive Nietzschean understanding of a necessary distance between the sexes.
- This revolt, joined to an ascetic and sterile devotion to positive fact, would ultimately slay even God.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1A desirable or constructive quality or attribute: take your weaknesses and translate them into positives to manage your way out of recession, accentuate the positiveMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The mid - term evaluation asked students, in an open-ended format, to relate the positives and negatives of each course they are taking that semester.
- Now we are seeking to further accentuate the positive.
- Central to the administration's strategy is to pivot the spotlight to the positive.
- 2A positive photographic image, especially one printed from a negative: the photographic process involves separate runs with the red, green, and blue separation positivesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In this process I first make a contact interpositive and then an enlarged negative from the contact positive.
- It has a built-in transparency adapter, so it can scan 35 mm photo negatives and positives (slides).
- The first test is to determine the correct exposure for a film positive.
- 3A result of a test or experiment indicating that a certain substance or condition is present or exists: let us look at the distribution of those positivesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- About 1.5x10 plaques were screened and five positives were detected, indicating that the clone was present at 0.003% of the total library.
- The total of 72 positives out of 2,868 tests conducted on Scottish Division soldiers was the highest proportion of failures of any unit in the army.
- Treatment would then be offered if tests are positives.
- 5A number greater than zero.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Two positives combined will always yield another positive.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- She says: ‘I believe that the positiveness expected by the citizens of Kenya is not only going to come from the government side, but from themselves, Kenyans, who want to see great changes.’
- They bring back experiences that they might otherwise have never been exposed to, and they bring back positiveness.
- Davis posted seven the nine and five from frees, showing more than a noticeable lack of positiveness by his colleagues who were happy to find his reliable clutches rather than shoulder responsibility.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Where do they get such inner strength and sense of positivity?
- For all his talk about the power of positivity, I confess I'm cynical about whether things will get better in our lifetime.
- It's difficult not to be infected by Chao's positivity and energy.
late Middle English: from Old French positif, -ive or Latin positivus, from posit- 'placed', from the verb ponere. The original sense referred to laws as being formally 'laid down', which gave rise to the sense 'explicitly laid down and admitting no question', hence 'certain'.