1Having great power, influence, or effect: thrones were potent symbols of authority a potent drug
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Recognizing that, there is certainly sympathy to be had for those who have fallen prey to the drug's potent effects.
- There is no more potent symbol of state power than the death penalty.
- But outspoken patients can be a potent force, heavily influencing whether a drug or medical device stays or is pulled from the market.
powerful, strong, vigorous, mighty, formidable, influential, commanding, dominant, forceful, dynamic, redoubtable, overpowering, overwhelming
forceful, convincing, cogent, compelling, persuasive, powerful, strong, effective, effectual, eloquent, impressive, telling, sound, well founded, valid, weighty, authoritative, irresistible
2(Of a male) able to achieve an erection or to reach an orgasm.
- The answer lies in the widespread assumption that ‘awakening’ a young lass is the mark of a potent man.
- Now our newly potent man starts flaunting his favour and throws his weight around.
- A white boy dancer must deliver an impotent, but ironic, rendering of White's (love unlimited) orchestration of potent sexuality.
late Middle English: from Latin potent- 'being powerful, being able', from the verb posse.
- Example sentences
- Those frighteningly large numbers on the left who refused to see the reality and the potence of this threat were divided from the more grounded types from both sides who could.
- The author argued that ‘the obsession with virility, potence, bodybuilding and the sports that characterized turn-of-the-century America permeated saloons.’
- To investigate the importance of the nonadditive gene expression in relation to the additive gene expression, we investigated the potence for all genes with significant dominance effects.
- Example sentences
- When it was restaged at the beginning of this year in the new house (with an identical cast other than the two children's roles), it seemed as intense and potently ambiguous as ever.
- Tensions around the increasing personal frustrations of young people, lack of employment opportunity and a surge of cultural conservatism are most potently symbolised in the re-veiling of women.
- I really liked the sweet and tender bulgogi, in which slices of pork are cooked in a sweet and nutty sauce until they become sticky little slices of potently flavored, irresistible barbecue.