Definición de power en inglés:
- The powers of technology harnessed with the power of the human mind fused into one supreme being capable of the impossible.
- He preached a simple, effective message of a common humanity and the power of love.
- I can use any number of tools, from the powers of composition and imagination to the power of a computer, to make an image be what I want it to be.
- We have the power to influence events if only we are prepared to use it.
- You have power, prestige and influence and can dictate your terms in professional matters.
- It is a role of no power, no influence, with no glamour or credit.
- But that was a revolution which brought the capitalist class to political power.
- The parliament that emerged from this vote has been as yet unable to form a government and exercises no power.
- They don't have the economic and social power of government and media figures, that's for sure.
- The Tribunal has no power to delegate to any other body the performance of the duties laid on it by the Act.
- This ground of challenge may be used where the claimant alleges that there has been an unlawful delegation of power.
- There has also been a history of judicial reticence when a power is delegated to an elected public body.
- The world heroine had rendered her causes morally imperative and essential to national military power.
- Yes, in conventional terms, the greater military power would win out, but not in guerilla warfare.
- His greatest strength was recognising the limitations of military power.
- The Industrial Revolution ensured military supremacy of the Western powers, whose colonial influence affected most of the Muslim world.
- After a long trend of consolidation by colonial powers, new countries are declaring their independence.
- In addition a murky role is being played by certain neighbouring countries and international powers.
- There will no longer be two political powers within the central government as some suggested.
- A number of business organisations appealed to political powers today to work together and form a cabinet as soon as possible.
- Uber-designers often pave the way for their work by forging bonds with the business and political powers in an organization.
- The stories of heroism from the epics involved the use of supernatural or divine powers by the avtats or incarnations of gods and goddesses.
- Those who believe in a supernatural power know that there is a further existence after the shell they are in dies.
- The force of these powers works in ways that are so woven into the fabric of life, they are hard to see.
- We think power is physical muscle power and we try harder to overpower and dominate others.
- Their stand-out attribute for me is the physical strength and power of the players.
- Yet by their physical power, they can impose their will without regard to the law.
- Once again we tried to lift off with engines roaring at full power, but no cigar.
- This should be less of a problem at Monaco, where no cars use their full engine power.
- With a brisk performance, this engine had plenty of power at the high end.
- He came out of nowhere last year to play the power game well and show amazing athleticism for his size.
- She is working on her own power game - spending more time in the gym, and improving the physical side of her game.
- His running is the reason why the Wildcats are relying more on power football and the option.
- The main ocular determinants of refraction are the focusing power of the cornea and crystalline lens and the length of the eye.
- Long-sightedness occurs when the eyeball is too short in relation to the focusing power of the cornea and lens.
- The refractive or focusing power of the cornea can be measured with a keratometer.
- Wind power uses the kinetic energy from the wind to turn an electricity-generating turbine.
- The server has two separate power supplies and two power cables in case one fails or falls out.
- They are also actively involved in smuggling and looting high-voltage power cables.
- He said the use of solar energy could help people in rural areas to have power for their schools and clinics.
- The building is self-sufficient in power and water use and all wastewater is treated on site.
- Nobody in the area had power at this point, and there was quite a bit of property damage.
- I found an attachment for our power screwdriver/drill thing that exactly fits a standard drum lug.
- Then there's the sound of buzzing: the rasp of a buzz-saw or scream of a power drill, perhaps.
- It made him want to take a power drill to the other side of his head to release the pressure.
- Spectral analysis provides a measure of power in the different frequency bands in the EEG.
- There are two 1.5 watt speakers built in and the unit draws a paltry 20 watts of power.
- It likes to trumpet its all out speed while ignoring the 130 watts of power and size of the beast.
- In 1915 Macaulay discovered the primary decomposition of an ideal in a polynomial ring, which is the analogue of the decomposition of a number into a product of prime powers.
- We can use arithmetics with different bases, fractions, decimals, logarithms, powers, or simply words.
- Hensel was interested in the exact power of a prime which divides the discriminant of an algebraic number field.
- There's a power of difference between a monologue and a one-man show.
- There's a power of men been killed in this Hispaniola a sight o' poor seamen dead and gone since you and me took ship to Bristol.
- To be sure there's a power of money made here.
verboVolver al principio
- A particular growth area for the company continues to be the production of seal rings for turbo chargers in diesel powered engines.
- Chips are cut out of wafers, and are used to power electronics devices such as cell phones.
- ‘In fact the school pays for the electricity that powers the machines, with no return,’ she adds.
- It did rather lose its marbles towards the end and had turned malicious after one particularly thorough seeing to by a bloke who didn't know how to switch it on and powered it up at least nine times in a way that the manual expressly forbade.
- Set the replicator to ‘ham sandwich’ and power the device up, making sure to jokingly say ‘make it so!’
- He looked at his handheld device and saw it was powered up fully.
- Crawford was slow out of his blocks but powered round the bend to lead Williams by a fraction as they entered the final 100m.
- Thrashing my way along, this guy powered past me, turbulence all round, power-boat wake.
- The Texan was the world's one-lap maestro and looks as relaxed in the studio as he was powering round the track.
- Locke powered the ball into the line, while Devine used his speed to run the ball to the outside.
- Ramos bravely powered the ball goalwards with a header only for Stekelenburg to palm away to safety.
- Northampton then could only clear a MacKenzie free kick as far as Corden who powered a low shot through a forest of legs and into Rachubka's midriff.
do someone/thing a power of good
- informal Be very beneficial to someone or something.Oraciones de ejemplo
- We moved here earlier than we'd planned and it's doing us a power of good.
- Futilely smashing things up does you a power of good.
- It still does you a power of good if you are applying for a job as a teacher and you know a politician on the appointments board.
in the power of
- Under the control of: what happens to them is in the power of the managementMás ejemplos en oraciones
have control over, have influence over, have under one's thumb, have at one's mercy, have in one's clutches, have in the palm of one's hand, have eating out of one's hand, have on a string, have one's claws into;North American have in one's hip pocketinformal have over a barrel
- In the end, when they have gained their purpose, they lose all interest and leave their man in the power of fate with one more bill to pay.
- Its forked root, seemingly resembling the human form, was thought to be in the power of dark earth spirits.
- I am limp in the power of the current that tugs beneath the waves.
more power to your elbow! (or to you etc.)
- British Used to encourage someone or express approval of their actions.Oraciones de ejemplo
- ‘Honey, if you can find someone who can sing over that orchestra and still wear that size 5 costume, more power to you!’
- Police in Bolton are to crack down on this kind of behaviour, and more power to their elbow.
power behind the throne
- A person who exerts authority or influence without having formal status.Oraciones de ejemplo
- That of course gets the political tongues wagging in terms of this issue of how people rate his power and influence, and whether he is the power behind the throne.
- Successive coaches were perceived as the being the powers behind the throne, but the club grew stronger after each departed.
- But there was always a suspicion that he remained the power behind the throne - and, on Friday, he admitted he was still the security adviser.
the powers that be
- The authorities: the powers that be are assessing the situation[With biblical allusion to Rom. 13:1]Más ejemplos en oraciones
the authorities, the people in charge, the establishment, the government, the administration, the men in (grey) suits
- I thought we were being directed away from the original subject matter by the powers that be.
- It would never have occurred to the powers that be to run and supervise the National Lottery from anywhere but London.
- People try and be free, and the powers that be basically overtake the movement.
Like posse, power can be traced back to Latin posse ‘to be able’. ‘We know that power does corrupt, and that we cannot trust kings to have loving hearts’, wrote Anthony Trollope in The Prime Minister ( 1876). But power corrupts got into the language through the slightly later quotation from Lord Acton: ‘Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority’ (letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887). Whoever the authorities or people in control are in a particular situation can be referred to as the powers that be, a phrase that comes from the Bible: ‘For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God’ (Epistle to the Romans).
Palabras que riman con powerbower, cower, devour, dower, embower, empower, endower, flour, flower, gaur, Glendower, glower, hour, lour, lower, our, plougher (US plower), scour, shower, sour, Stour, sweet-and-sour, tower
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.