- 1(Of a young bird or other animal) hatched or born in an advanced state and able to feed itself almost immediately. Also called nidifugous. Often contrasted with altricial.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Young in precocial birds that are fed by their parents also engage in vocal and postural begging displays.
- The young are precocial and are tended by both parents.
- Males leave the females soon after incubation begins, and females provide uniparental care for precocial young.
- 1.1(Of a particular species) having precocial young.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Lack proposed that for species with precocial young, mean clutch size is determined by the average amount of nutrients available to females at the time of egg production.
- We predicted that species with precocial newborn should have synchronized births as an antipredator strategy.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Praecoces (the name of a former division of birds, plural of Latin praecox 'mature before its time') + -ial.
Más definiciones de precocialDefinición de precocial en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.