Definición de preposition en inglés:
- It's quite different from English, too, in that it puts the verb at the end of the sentence and uses postpositions instead of prepositions.
- A good comedy movie is also one that is dripping with humour in small doses, so that even a preposition or a pronoun at a given moment seems hilarious.
- There is plenty of evidence that even educated Americans often believe that there is something wrong with sentences ending in prepositions.
late Middle English: from Latin praepositio(n-), from the verb praeponere, from prae 'before' + ponere 'to place'.
There is a traditional view, first set forth by the 17th-century poet and dramatist John Dryden, that it is incorrect to put a preposition at the end of a sentence, as in where do you come from? or she’s not a writer I’ve ever come across. The rule was formulated on the basis that, since in Latin a preposition cannot come after the word it governs or is linked with, the same should be true of English. The problem is that English is not like Latin in this respect, and in many cases (particularly in questions and with phrasal verbs) the attempt to move the preposition produces awkward, unnatural-sounding results. Winston Churchill famously objected to the rule, saying, ‘This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.’ In standard English the placing of a preposition at the end of a sentence is widely accepted, provided the use sounds natural and the meaning is clear.
- Example sentences
- Turn up is one of the fossilized prepositional verbs of English, like come across meaning ‘encounter’.
- After a fair amount of searching, I was not able to find any other examples with participles, and only one example of any kind at all (aside from the possible prepositional examples above).
- The main reason not to welcome all prepositional uses of than, in my opinion, has to do with sentences like this one: ‘I like her better than him.’
- Example sentences
- But only that which can be true or false - thus prepositionally contentful - can confirm or refute.
Definición de preposition en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary