Definición de pretentious en inglés:
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed: pretentious art films the pretentious jargon of wine experts
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Enough of this pseudo-intellectual posturing, these pretentious literary musings!
- What you want to do if you actually fancy being a pretentious intellectual is read the book.
- Sadly, it comes across more as a pretentious attempt to buy the world a coke.
overambitious, pompous, artificial, flatulent, inflated, overblown, overripe, fustian, hyperventilated, mannered, high-flown, high-sounding, flowery, grandiose, big, grand, elaborate, extravagant, heroic, flamboyant, ornate, grandiloquent, magniloquent, bombastic, turgid, orotund, rhetorical, oratorical;
North American sophomoric
US black Englishdicty
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The dialogue is self-consciously clunky, the characters are stereotypes and each section is fronted with a pretentiously redundant quotation.
- This movie, on the other hand, looks like it's going to be either a new horror classic that shapes the genre, or one of the most pretentiously awful films of all time.
- Rather pretentiously, I always have this by the bed - I often find it soothing to read a few pages about the mating and migratory habits of swallows before I go to sleep.
Mid 19th century: from French prétentieux, from prétention (see pretension1).
Palabras que riman con pretentiousconscientious, contentious, licentious, sententious, tendentious
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda