(US also preterit) Grammar
Definición de preterite en inglés:
Expressing a past action or state.
- But what we do in English is shift the subordinate clause verb into preterite inflection (had blue eyes instead of has blue eyes) as if to respect the choice of tense in the main clause.
- In Tables 4 and 5, the present and preterite paradigms of the indicative mood of the strong verb bindan (to bind) and of the weak verb heran (to hear) are set out for comparison.
- So now look at this sentence, with the preterite form could.
sustantivoVolver al principio
A simple past tense or form.
- Both of them have a raft of irregular preterites and past participles, suggesting long standing confusion.
- Both shed and crown could therefore be taken as preterites.
- That minimum is represented in English by verbs such as must and ought, which are modal verb with no preterite (inflected past tense).
Middle English (in the sense 'bygone, former'): from Latin praeteritus 'gone by', past participle of praeterire, from praeter 'past, beyond' + ire 'go'.
Definición de preterite en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan