- 1Properties or qualities, such as size, motion, shape, number, etc., belonging to physical matter independently of an observer.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Galileo, Descartes, and Newton had accepted the distinction between primary and secondary qualities, and had suggested that extension, position, and motion were primary qualities.
- On the other hand an apple is a primary object, or object of mathematics, when we consider only its primary qualities of shape and singularity (quantity).
- Moreover, primary qualities are never perceived except in conjunction with secondary qualities.
- 1.1The four original qualities of matter (hot, cold, wet, and dry) recognized by Aristotle, from which other qualities were held to derive.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A central component of the humoral theory of the body, temperament (‘crasis’ in Greek) denoted the particular balance of the four primary qualities - hot, wet, cold, and dry - characteristic of a given individual in a healthy condition.
- At about the same time, four primary qualities were defined - hot and cold, wet and dry - which also made up a tetrad of opposites, as did the four blood types of Aristotle and the four humours of Hippocrates.
- Given the fundamental or "primary" qualities, which come in two pairs of opposites, viz., hot/cold and moist/dry, there are four elements out of which all minerals are composed, each having its own set proportion of elements; and from the minerals all other corporeal entities in general are formed.
Más definiciones de primary qualitiesDefinición de primary qualities en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.