- 1A person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God: the Old Testament prophet, JeremiahMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Modern scholars who deal with Israel's ancient political religion and the prophets who proclaimed its transformation are burdened with a scholarly spurious familiarity.
- Since then, Almighty God sent several prophets and revelations, the last in this chain being Prophet Muhammad and the Qur'an.
- Buddha and Jesus, Krishna and Mahavir, Guru Nanak and prophets of other religions teach one thing only: Selflessness!
- 1.2A person who advocates or speaks in a visionary way about a new cause or theory: he is repeatedly hailed as a prophet of modernismMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In many ways his importance is overstated, especially in the field of theory, and his place in the development of an independent air force is best viewed as a prophet or advocate rather than as a system builder.
- With his vision of an interconnected world, he was one of the earliest prophets of communications technology and globalisation as a way of reducing the marginalisation of much of the poor world.
- Those modern-day prophets, the health and nutrition experts, reckon that getting five portions of fruit and vegetables under your belt should be as easy as pie.
- 1.3A person who predicts what will happen in the future: the prime minister ignored the prophets of doomMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This is what the prophets of doom have been waiting for.
- There are still those who refuse to believe the prophets of doom.
- World crude oil prices have not risen with ‘free market’ supply and demand, confounding all the prophets of doom or boom.
- 2 (the Prophets) (In Christian use) the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, and the twelve minor prophets.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms all climax in Christ.
- Mike was so excited by the opportunity to witness to a son of Israel that he was unaware of how loudly he was speaking - until he noticed that other passengers were listening to him expound Moses and the Prophets.
- Jesus' death and resurrection are grounded in Moses and Elijah, the Law and the Prophets, as part of God's plan of salvation.
- 2.1(In Jewish use) one of the three canonical divisions of the Hebrew Bible, distinguished from the Law and the Hagiographa, and comprising the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and the twelve minor prophets.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Surrounding these two key prayers are clusters from the classics of Jewish literature: the Torah, the Prophets, the Psalms, and the Talmud.
- It is these differences which distinguish Torah from the Prophets.
- That includes the books of the Prophets and Writings as well.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The first 13 years of the prophethood of Muhammad were at his hometown of Makkah, where he and his fellow Muslims were severely persecuted by the pagans of Makkah.
- After all, if he believed in Mohammed's claim to prophethood, he would accept the validity of the Quran and hence the whole contents of the Quran, and by accepting all that, he would by definition be a Muslim.
- For example, an angel should descend with the Prophet and proclaim his prophethood all over the land or at least some trailer of punishment be shown to them at his initiation - the punishment which they were being warned with by him.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the language of early Christian prophetism, we can encounter Christ in the form of our sister.
- Any prophetism that would, in one way or another, look for a revelation still open to substantial accretions or admit the possibility of changes in the apostolic revelation is not true prophetism of the Church.
Middle English: from Old French prophete, via Latin from Greek prophētēs 'spokesman', from pro 'before' + phētēs 'speaker' (from phēnai 'speak').