Intended to prevent disease: prophylactic measures
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The role of traditional risk factors and prophylactic measures in air travel-related venous thromboembolism needs further investigation.
- Although some of these illnesses can be prevented by vaccines or prophylactic measures, proper sanitation and personal cleanliness are vital to disease prevention.
- Preventive or prophylactic therapy is helpful in most of the cases and requires a small dose of antibiotic, which is generally given at bed time for prolonged periods of 6 to 12 months.
1A medicine or course of action used to prevent disease: I took malaria prophylactics
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is an anti-oestrogen widely used in the adjuvant therapy of breast cancer and is also used as a prophylactic to prevent the disease in high-risk women.
- In animal experiments and observational research, vitamin E, a potent antioxidant, looks promising as a prophylactic against cardiovascular disease and cancer, but short term clinical trials have been disappointing.
- Its use as a prophylactic, especially in cardiac surgery, may increase.
preventive measure, precaution, safeguard, safety measure;
2North American A condom.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- As the primary vehicle for the sale of prophylactics, drugstores brought condoms within the reach of increasing numbers of American males.
- In Maryland, it is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.
- Faced with an epidemic of gonorrhea and syphilis, American commanders overseas ignored domestic advice-givers and followed the French practice of providing their men with prophylactics.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Drugs like verapamil, divalproex, topiramate, lithium carbonate, methysergide and prednisone are used prophylactically in prevention.
- You see, I am one of those people who live prophylactically and sanely and sensibly.
- Following recovery from an acute episode they were treated prophylactically with lithium carbonate and followed for a period of two years.
Late 16th century: from French prophylactique, from Greek prophulaktikos, from pro 'before' + phulassein 'to guard'.
Palabras que riman con prophylacticanaphylactic, ataractic, autodidactic, chiropractic, climactic, didactic, galactic, lactic, syntactic, tactic
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: prophy|lac¦tic
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda