adjetivoBotany & Zoology
(Of a hermaphrodite flower or animal) having the male reproductive organs come to maturity before the female. The opposite of protogynous.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- It is a wind-pollinated species, with hermaphroditic protandrous flowers (the first two days as male and three last days as female).
- In many protandrous spiders, adult males cohabit with juvenile females nearing sexual maturity, and this may provide an index of expected mate availability for females.
- Perfect flowers are protandrous, hence the stigmas open after anthesis, which reduces the probability of autogamous self-pollination.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Under natural photoperiodic conditions protandry in hermaphrodite disc flowers of sunflower is determined by the different elongation rates of the style and filaments.
- The temporal aspects of stigma receptivity and pollen longevity were investigated in relation to protandry (the occurrence of anther dehiscence prior to stigma receptivity) and breeding system.
- Predictions from the above hypotheses are not mutually exclusive, and associations between protandry and sexual dimorphism may be promoted by complex interactions between the suggested mechanisms acting in concert.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: pro|tan¦drous
Definición de protandrous en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda