Definición de ptarmigan en inglés:
A northern grouse of mountainous and Arctic regions, with feathered legs and feet and plumage that typically changes to white in winter.
- Genus Lagopus, family Tetraonidae: two species, in particular the (rock) ptarmigan (L. mutus) of Eurasia and North America
- Most game birds are also galliforms, including grouse, partridges, pheasants, quails, ptarmigans, and wild turkeys.
- Willow ptarmigan, rock ptarmigan and spruce grouse are a few of the ground-dwelling birds.
- The biologist and writer Julian Huxley, grandson of Darwin's great friend and supporter Thomas Henry Huxley, thought that the white plumage of the male ptarmigan might distract a predator away from the female.
late 16th century: from Scottish Gaelic tàrmachan. The spelling with p- was introduced later, suggested by Greek words starting with pt-.
Definición de ptarmigan en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan