Definición de purlieu en inglés:
sustantivo (plural purlieus or purlieux)
- For further evidence, tour the purlieus of your state Capitol, contrasting the vulgar ostentation on the marbled side of the street with the squalid reality on the living side.
- The National Art Collections Fund has mounted an exhibition, impressive even in the drab purlieus of the Hayward Gallery, of some of the most notable works it has helped to retain in Great Britain during the past hundred years.
- One of the more enjoyable moments of a Scottish Cup final is that hour or so before kick-off when you take a gentle stroll around the purlieus of Hampden Park.
- It was the purlieu of Rob Roy MacGregor, whose exploits can be seen at the Visitor Centre in Callander.
- This process has actively been promoted by the Party, with its cult of Cool Britannia importing the likes of pop stars into 10 Downing Street, formerly the purlieu of Oxford dons and distinguished artists.
Late 15th century (denoting a tract on the border of a forest): probably an alteration (suggested by French lieu 'place') of Anglo-Norman French puralee 'a going round to settle the boundaries'.
Palabras que riman con purlieucurfew • purview
Definición de purlieu en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.