Definición de putty en inglés:
1A soft, malleable greyish-yellow paste, made from ground chalk and raw linseed oil, that hardens after a few hours and is used for sealing glass in window frames and filling holes in wood: countersink the screws so they can be covered with putty [count noun]: the manufacture of paints and putties
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- You can fill in nail holes with wood putty before sanding if you are not planning to stain the wood.
- When dry, fill the nail holes with a non-oily wood filler for natural finishes, or putty if the wood is to be painted.
- Spackle is a soft, white, premixed material that's about the consistency of soft putty.
1.1 [usually with modifier] Any of a number of similar malleable substances used inside and outside buildings, e.g. plumber’s putty, lime putty, or used for modelling or casting, e.g. epoxy putty.
- Apply a bead of plumber's putty (not caulk) on the underside of the flange on the drain to seal it with the sink.
- The mortar mix used for the vintage building consisted of a Portland cement-slacked lime putty created by mixing cement and lime.
- The basket strainer should be packed with plumber's putty and pushed firmly down into place.
verbo (putties, puttying, puttied)[with object] Volver al principio
Seal or cover (something) with putty: give me a minute until I putty these windows in (as adjective puttied) lightly puttied joints
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Fastener locations are often easy to find, even if the nail heads have been puttied over.
- These ships leave a small gap between the old jamb and the new strip, which can be puttied and painted to match.
- The masonry surface may need to be prepared by sandblasting, application of a primer, and puttying.
mid 17th century: from French potée, literally 'potful', from pot 'pot'.
be (like) putty in someone's hands
- Be easily manipulated or dominated by someone: he was putty in her hands from the beginningMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One whiff of her ‘Midnight in Sorrento’ perfume and they were like putty in her hands.
- No one could call it a fast-moving film, but I was putty in its hands.
- But even formidable Marjory is putty in Rosemary 's hands.
Definición de putty en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan