sustantivo (plural igual or quails)
1A small short-tailed Old World game bird resembling a tiny partridge, typically having brown camouflaged plumage.
- Family Phasianidae: three genera, in particular Coturnix, and several species, e.g. the widespread migratory common quail (C. coturnix)
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Birds such as grouse, crows, quail, partridge, nightjars, cuckoos, shrikes, larks, pipits, merlins, harriers, kestrels and buzzards would all have been seen.
- During the past seven years, Poppy and husband Pete, who fund the sanctuary themselves, have taken scores of animals and birds under their wing, including geese, dogs, a cow, partridge, pheasant and quail.
- Once the butter starts to sizzle, add the quail and brown all over (one to two minutes).
2A small or medium-sized New World game bird, the male of which has distinctive facial markings.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Male quail are often aggressive before and during the breeding season.
- Callipepla californica are New World quail, birds that have chunky, rounded bodies and crests or head plumes.
- But then a new male and female California quail strolled into the yard with a recently hatched brood of five chicks.
Palabras que riman con quailail, ale, assail, avail, bail, bale, bewail, brail, Braille, chain mail, countervail, curtail, dale, downscale, drail, dwale, entail, exhale, fail, faille, flail, frail, Gael, Gail, gale, Grail, grisaille, hail, hale, impale, jail, kale, mail, male, webmail, nonpareil, outsail, pail, pale, rail, sail, sale, sangrail, scale, shale, snail, stale, swale, tail, tale, they'll, trail, upscale, vail, vale, veil, surveil, wail, wale, whale, Yale
Feel or show fear or apprehension: she quailed at his heartless words
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I knew that the arête would have to be surmounted and I quailed in fear.
- So I stayed there, and the cat joined me, and we quailed and quaked and waited for it to stop.
- I remember quailing in horror at the American charts in those days.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'waste away, come to nothing'): of unknown origin.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda