- Denoting a mild form of malaria causing a fever that recurs every third day: quartan fever
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Quartan malaria (or quartan ague) is caused by infection with Plasmodium malariae. Compare with tertian
- As the criminal had a quartan fever, Fallopius wished to investigate the effects of opium on the paroxysms.
- He suffered for about eighteen months from the quartan fever which is a fever which recurs at approximately 72-hour intervals.
- I had a quartan ague which held me foure or five months, and had altogether disvisaged and altered my countenance, yet my mind held ever out, not onely peaceably but pleasantly…
late Middle English: from Latin (febris) quartana, based on Latin quartus 'fourth' (because, by inclusive reckoning, the fever recurs every fourth day).
Más definiciones de quartanDefinición de quartan en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.